Here is an early preview of the top 5 at each position for the upcoming NFL draft. Not everyone has declared yet, and injuries are prevalent, but this is how we see it now. * denotes a player considered a injury risk, and that definitely affects how they are ranked currently.Right next to them is a NFL player is the NFL player I think they most resemble if they are a hit.
QB- Lockers decision to go back to school helps Clausen , but especially McCoy a lot. Some QB needy team may reach for Colt earlier than they would have now.
1. Sam Bradford- OKLA *- Phillip Rivers- SD
2. Jimmy Clausen- N. Dame - Drew Brees - NO
3. Colt McCoy- Texas - Jeff Garcia - Retired
4. Tony Pike- Cinc. - (Stronger armed) Alex Smith- SF
5. Tim Tebow- Fla. - Donavan McNabb - PHIL.
RB- Unless one of the big backs is a lot faster than they look on film, don't expect anybody to go in the top 10 this year. Dwyer is the only one that might surprise people on the stopwatch to go high.
1. CJ Spiller- Clemson- Reggie Bush- NO
2. Jonathan Dwyer - Ga. Tech. - Johnathan Stewart - CAR
3. Jahvid Best - Cal. -Brian Westbrook- PHI.
4. Ryan Mathews- Fresno St. - Frank Gore- SF
5.-tie- Toby Gerhart- Stanford - Mike Allstott- retired
5.-tie-Dexter McCluster- Darren Sproles- SD/Warrick Dunn- TB
WR- Unless someone runs a really fast 40 time I don't expect anyone to go in the top 10 here either. There is no Calvin Johnson(once a decade prospect) type that teams will be salivating over in this draft.
1. Dez Bryant- Okla. St.- Miles Austin- DALL
2. Golden Tate- N. Dame - Steve Smith - CAR
3. Demaryius Thomas- Ga. Tech. - Terrell Owens
4. Damian Williams- Southern Cal- Steve Smith- NYG
5.-tie- Arrellious Benn- Ill.- Dwayne Bowe- KC
5.-tie- Mardy Gilyard- CINC.- Patrick Crayton- DALL
TE- 40 times often change the entire pecking order of this group drastically , and complete TE's( i.e. they can block and be an effective receiver) are getting hard to find these days.More teams are looking for that receiving option that can create matchup problems for opposing defenses.With the 2 biggets prospects coming off season long injuries,and the lileyhood that a team can get a good TE later in the draft, it's likely thatat most 1 of these guys will go in the 1rst round . A deep postion with good value though.
1. Jermain Gresham- OKLA *- Antonio Gates- SD
2. Rob Gronkowski- * Jason Witten - DALL
3.-tie- Anthony McCoy- Southern Cal- John Carlson- SEA
3.-tie- Dennis Pitta- Owen Daniels- HOU
4. Ed Dickson- Ore.- Bo Scaife- TENN
5. Aaron Hernandez- Fla.- Dallas Clark - INDY
OT- A talented group with a lot of guys who are more projectable, than there are current elite prospects. A lot of depth with the possibility of as many as 6 1rst rounders . The big question is which ones can actually protect the QB's blindside?
1. Russell Okung- Okla. St.- Ryan Clady- DEN
2. Bruce Campbell- Maryland- Jason Peters- PHIL
3. Anthony Davis- Rutgers- Leonard Davis- DALL
tie-4. Bryan Bulaga- Iowa- Jordan Gross- CAR
tie-4. Trent Williams- OKLA- Eric Winston-HOU
5. Charles Brown- Southern Cal- DeBrickshaw Ferguson- NYJ
G- An under appreciated position that usually has a lot of College tackles who aren't seen as having the feet to play outside in the NFL, merging inside.
1. Mile Iupati- Idaho- Shawn Andrews- PHIL
2. Jon Asamoah- Ill.- Davin Joseph- TB
3. Vladimir Ducasse- Umass- Vernon Carey- MIA
4.-tie- Justin Boren- Ohio St.- Eric Wood- BUFF
4.-tie- Mitch Petrus- ARK.-Jake Bell- STL
5.-tie- Zane Beadles- UTAH- Reggie Wells- AZ
5.-tie- Mike Johnson- Ala.- Kyle Kosier- DALL
C- The QB's of the O-line have seen a renewed appreciation in the draft in recent years. Often versatile players than can also play guard, but there is no Nick Mangold or even Alex Mack in this years class. The senior bowl is usually the best chance for these guys to rise up draft boards, but the possible junior entry's are the best chance for someone to sneak into the bottom of the 1rst round .
1. Maurkice Pouncey- Fla.- Andre Gurode- DALL
2. Kristopher O'Dowd- Southern Cal-Matt Birk- BALT
3. Matt Tenant- BC- Casey Rabach- WASH
4. JD Walton - Baylor- Jake Grove-MIA
5. Ryan Pugh - Auburn- Max Unger- SEA